Recent News, Reviews & Press Releases
- In world news, IU Distinguished Professor Menahem Pressler receives honorary citizenship from his hometown of Magdeburg, Germany, which he fled to escape the Nazis in 1939. Details can be found in numerous reviews including the Chicago Tribune, The Indianapolis Star and Indiana University News.
- Le Journal Review – Menahem Pressler with the Orchestre National de France in Paris, France – July 2009
As soloist, master class teacher, and pianist of the world-renowned Beaux Arts Trio, Menahem Pressler can boast of four Grammy nominations, two honorary doctorates, more than 80 recordings, and lifetime achievement awards presented by France, Germany, and Israel. Former Pressler student William Brown traces the master’s pianistic development through Rudiakov, Kestenberg, Vengerova, Casadesus, Petri, and Steuermann, blending techniques and traditions derived from Beethoven, Chopin, Liszt, and even J. S. Bach. Brown presents Pressler’s approach to performance and teaching, including technical exercises, principles of relaxation and total body involvement, and images to guide the pianist’s creativity toward expressive interpretation. Insights from the author’s own lessons, interviews with Pressler, and recollections of more than 100 Pressler students from the past 50 years are gathered in this text. Measure-by-measure lessons on 23 piano masterworks by among others Bach, Bartok, Debussy, and Ravel as well as transcriptions of Pressler’s fingerings, hand redistributions, practicing guidelines, musical scores, and master class performances are included.
- Dec 25: Menahem Pressler in concert for the 100th Anniversary Celebration for Sviatoslav Richter - Moscow, Russia
- Dec 29: Menahem Pressler Piano Soloist with the Berlin Philharmonic - Berlin, Germany
- Dec 30: Menahem Pressler Piano Soloist with the Berlin Philharmonic - Berlin, Germany
- Dec 31: Menahem Pressler Piano Soloist with the Berlin Philharmonic - Berlin, Germany